"Jeju Wild Dolphin Watching"
Have you ever seen a wild dolphin swimming in Jeju sea?
What kind of trip?
We explore the wild dolphins on the sea with our native captain who knows Jeju sea well.
It is exciting and wonderful to meet dolphin friends who swim freely in the wide ocean.
What is the program?
Without going abroad or sailing in an expensive yacht,
tourists can enjoy an amazing encounter with a group of wild dolphins on Jeju’s southwest coast,
where the probability of sighting dolphins is highest, as discovered by Discover Jeju during its explorations of Jeju.
Encounter wild dolphins in the company of Jeju fishermen who know the waters around Jeju better than anyone.
It is recommended for such people.
People who love dolphins People who are interested in protecting wild dolphins
People who love nature and want to ride on the sea
A person who has never seen a dolphin for life
We received this evaluation.
"Wow!!! Great! Dolphins are really there!!!"
"It was great experience to see wild dolphins for all my life"
I screamed as soon as I saw a dolphin in the middle of the sea. Wow!"
Are there really wild dolphins in Jeju?
About 120 Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins live in the coastal waters of Jeju Island.
Although dolphins are an amazing sight for most mainland people, the inhabitants of Jeju’s coastal areas are familiar with dolphins,
as they often encounter them while swimming or fishing on a boat.
When haenyeo (female divers) find dolphins while they are diving for seafood, they shout out, “Baeallo, baeallo”, meaning ‘go underneath the boat’ in Jeju dialect,
in the hope that the dolphins will pass beneath the boat because their mischievous behavior can be dangerous.
The good news is that since their release back into the sea, the dolphins named Jedol, Chunsam, Sampal, Taesan, and Boksun,
which were caught near Jeju and transferred to a small aquarium to perform in dolphin shows,
now have calves of their own and are doing well in the sea thanks to many people’s interest and help.
Discover-Jeju has opted to use Jeju fishermen’s ships as dolphin exploration vessels, rather than luxurious yachts or cruise ships.
Dolphins have been designated as an endangered species and are subject to protection.
However, fishermen are not really pleased to see dolphins when they are fishing because dolphins drive fish away
or sometimes caught in the net, causing fishery losses.
Nevertheless, if dolphins become an additional source of tourism revenue, fishermen might take the lead in protecting dolphins!
Thus, our wild dolphin discovery tour with native Jeju fishermen is not an expensive yacht tour,
but a win-win tourism product that is offered to tourists at a reasonable price.
How does the actual wild dolphin Watching work?
Wild dolphin exploration usually proceeds with this.
At first, we will brief you on exploration related information and precautions.
Takes the boat to the sea.
Sail to find wild dolphins.
Meet dolphins outside the 50m radius of wild dolphins.
And, go back to the port.
Let's take a closer look at the video.
Wild Dolphin Exploration in the Press
Jeju MBC Theme Travel Route
Tvn & otvn Weekends will be broadcasted to the forest on April 12, 2017
Kbs 2 Battle Trips aired on April 15, 2017
KBS 1 Human Theater 'Have you seen the whale in spring' 2017.4.17 ~ 21
SBS PLUS 'Two Leave'
Japan TV Tokyo "Jianguang opening the future" aired on June 19
KBS 1 every corner Korea happy map 2017.11.25 airing
<KBS1 Superman came back>
- Assembly and Roll Call
- Captain’s instructions and interesting story about dolphins
- Wearing a life jacket and boarding the ship
- Visit to an area dolphins are known to frequent
- Encounter with dolphins
- Return to port
Precautions for dolphin watching
- Do not approach a dolphin within a radius of 50 m.
- Be careful when approaching and observing dolphins, and reduce speed when sailing within 50 meters of a dolphin.- Code of Conduct
- Do not touch and feed the dolphins.
- Do not make sudden or loud noises around the dolphins.
- Do not wait or approach the dolphins from the front or behind.
- Do not follow behind the dolphins.
- Only approach the dolphins slowly from their side.
- Reduce the ship’s speed around dolphins and do not suddenly change direction.
- Take extra care when mother and baby dolphins are together.
- When several ships including a rubber boat are sailing together, do not surround the dolphins with the ships or trap them between the coast and the ships.
- Do not approach dolphins in more than three ships at a time.
Please join us in creating a culture of protecting dolphins, a protected marine organism as an endangered species,
by observing all the above precautions during the dolphin encounter.
These precautions should comply with the recommendations of the World Wildlife Fund currently in force in Australia and the U.S.A.
Discover Jeju takes the lead in protecting dolphins.
In case of cancellation of exploration
The date of the tour may be subject to change depending on the weather and sea conditions, so please contact us in advance.
The dolphin tour may be canceled in the event that it is too dangerous to set sail due to adverse weather and the conditions.
The time or date of the tour may be changed in the event of insufficient reservations.
Venue: Unjinhang Port, Moseulpo, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do
Minimum no.: 6 persons
Maximum no.: 11 persons
Date: After reservation, the schedule may be adjusted according to sea and ship conditions.
Duration: 50 minutes
- Captain’s friendly guidance
- life jacket
- Please arrive 20 minutes before the reservation time.
- Departs on time. You can not explore if you are late, because we are already waiting for someone to come.
- People who suffer from severe seasickness should take a medicine for seasickness (including a seasickness patch).
- Recommended to children above upper-grade elementary school age. Preschoolers are not allowed onboard. All children should be accompanied by an adult.
- The bathroom is far away. Please, need to be ready.
- On board, you must not engage in dangerous acts to yourself or others and must follow the control of the captain.
- How to find it: You can search for the map or navigation on your smart phone.
Come all the way to the sea port.
from Jeju Airport
Bus number: take 150-1(Unjin port) - Get off at Daejeong High School Bus Stop
transfer 202 (Daejeong High School) After getting off at Dongil-ri Bus station.
Notices on Reservation
- The dolphin tour is entirely subject to natural circumstances such as weather and sea conditions.
In the event of cancellation, customers will be informed one to three days in advance of the tour and refunded 100%.
- The minimum number of people for the dolphin encounter is five. In the event of cancellation due to an insufficient number of reservations,
customers will be informed three days in advance and refunded 100%.
- The dolphin tour ships are covered by insurance. However, insurance for the day’s entire tour is not included.
If you wish to be insured, please take out individual traveler’s insurance in advance.
- Although the weather report may not forecast heavy rain or strong wind, the tour may be canceled depending on the actual sea conditions on the day.
The refund and/or cancellation policy for travel products is as follows.
In case of travel products that must be reserved via the company’s website, members can cancel a travel contract before the start date.
If a member wishes to cancel a contract before the start date after completing payment for the product, the company’s damages
should be reimbursed according to the following criteria for each article relating to the time of notification of cancellation.
- Notification made from the date of payment deposit to four days before the deadline for reservation: the full deposit will be refunded.
- Notification made three days before the deadline for reservation: 20% of the price of the travel product excluding the cost of additional services / purchase of supplementary goods will be reimbursed.
- Notification made two days before the deadline for reservation: 40% of the price of the travel product excluding the cost of additional services / purchase of supplementary goods will be reimbursed.
- Notification made one day before the deadline for reservation: 50% of the price of the travel product excluding the cost of additional services / purchase of supplementary goods will be reimbursed.
- Notification made on or after the deadline for reservation, or cancellation made on the day of travel, or nonattendance: No refund.
- Notification made seven days before the deadline for reservation: the deposit will be refunded.
- Notification made four to six days before the deadline for reservation: Refund after deduction of compensation of 20% of the payment.
- Notification made two to three days before the deadline for reservation: Refund after deduction of compensation of 40% of the payment.
- Notification made one day before the deadline for reservation: Refund after deduction of compensation of 50% of the payment.
- Notification made after the deadline for reservation, or nonattendance on the day: No refund.
Captain Dolphin was born and grew up in Moseulpo, and his grandfather and father were also seamen.
He knows all about the sea at Moseulpo where dolphins appear, and has taken care of dolphins since his childhood.